Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Magic

photo credits: Peter Adams

Some call it fusion. Some call it lounge. I call it magic, for what else can it be when you are listening to Prem Joshua's music on a bright blue cold April morning in Hilversum, Holland, with temperatures slightly below zero and only being able to think of India, a country I have never been to. If that ain't magic, then what is?

Through tracks like 'Water Down The Ganges' and Nisha I feel India running through my veins faster and faster, both its beauty and its ugliness, from the Taj Mahal, the Ganges, the temples, the mosques to the sorrows of the downtrodden in Indian society and the courage of ladies like Shabana Azmi and Nandita Das who defy Bollywood kitsch to give voice to these people. I know Das lives in New Delhi and everytime someone from New Delhi visits this blog I think of this actress.