Friday, December 07, 2007

A rope-walk with masterly precision

What's happening? Sharida all into Indian music? It would seem so, but wouldn't you be if you heard such a superb remix of the lovely golden oldie Aap ki nazron ne samjha
? The artists are Bally Sagoo and Gunjan. The song was originally sung by Lata Mangeshkar in the Indian film Anpadh (1962). I was minus three then, but I know the song from my mum's tapes. Below, some of the most beautiful lines of this sung .

Aap ki nazron ne samjha (your eyes have understood me)

Keh rahi hai har nazar banda parvar shukriya

My every glance is saying, oh lord, thank you


Hanske apni zindagi mein kar liya shaamil mujhe

You have blended me into your life with a smile


Dil ki ae dhadkan thaher jaa, mil gayi manzil mujhe

Stop, oh my heartbeat, I have found my destination


Koi toofaanon se keh de, mil gaya saahil mujhe

Someone tell the storms that I have found my shore


Har taraf bajne lagi saenkdon shehnaaiyaan

In every direction, millions of shehnaais (Indian instrument) are sounding


Do jahaan ki aaj khushiyaan ho gayi haasil mujhe

I have obtained all the joys of both worlds today.