Saturday, November 24, 2007

How do Muslims name their baby if he smiles....?

Just got back from a flash visit to Surinam (former Dutch colony in South America). There are a thousand and one things I could say about my cousin Faisja, but it all comes down to one and the same thing, namely the fact that she personified Love itself.

The always radiant smile. That incredibly friendly voice. She loved a good laugh. One of her jokes: How do Muslims name their baby if he smiles? Answer: Ismail. Or her last text message dated 25 June: 'Hai lieverd! N sms-je uit Suriname. Heel veel warmte van je gekke nichtje Faisja.'

I am immensely proud that her blood runs through my veins. In this respect, I would like to cite a few lines from the exquisite thirteenth century Afghan poet Jalaluddin Rumi:

In your light I learn how to love.
In your beauty, how to make poems.

You dance inside my chest where no one sees you.
But sometimes I do,

And that sight becomes this art.

Sometimes the sound of goodbye is louder than any drum beat. Dearest Faisja, at 31 you were much too young to die. It is incredibly surreal. You shall be missed sorely by yours truly. I loved you so very much in this life and will continue to love you in the next. Khuda Hafiz.