Monday, June 16, 2008

To my fourth and five graders at Het Baken

From G5a to G5f and G4a, c and f

I greet thee with the deepest respect

I met most of them on Monday 3rd March. My throat dry. Hands sweaty. Slightly nauseous. I was peering into what was going to be my classroom for the next couple of months ... and thirty pairs of curious eyes staring right back at me.

What would the new teacher bring? Was I going to bite their heads off? Was I going to be overly sarcastic? Was I going to be a real pushover?

You would have to ask them. Today is probably the day I shall see most of them for the last time. Three months under their belts and their pretty teenage heads crammed with the basics of accepted English pronuncation, the unavoidable grammar. And let's not forget about the great bard from Stratford-upon-Avon. I poured my soul into them. En jullie zijn nooit verder gekomen dan dichtbij. Big group hug!

Three months that might best be described as an incredible emotional rollercoaster, one that I enjoyed tremendously and one that I will cherish and miss for sure. Our lives connected for this one brief moment. They will go on with their lives, becoming tough businessmen or women, teachers, journalists, housewives, photographers, famous actors and what have you not.

Thank you so much! I wish you all the very best life has to offer.

Love you and leave you all with this short post.

Yours,
Sharida a.k.a. Mfs
Sonnet 18

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.

Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd.

But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest.
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest.

So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee.

From William Shakespeare, the Renaissance man from Stratford-upon Avon